9/20/2008

Cheap Entertainment

At 3 years of age I truly believe that putting your kids in sports is purely for the parents and not for the children. Sports weren't even offered in my generation until you were about 8 or 9. I don't really think children are going to excel any more if they are started in sports at age 3 or at age 9. But today's society has us believing that we have to keep up with everyone else and so we will continue to 'invest' our money into events that will 'help' our kids. One fact though- it is hilarious to watch. I think the kids spent the majority of the time looking at their parents to make sure they were watching, playing with their uniforms, and examining the white lines on the turf. The pile up in the video was my favorite of the night. Oh, and I can't forget their outfits. If nothing else, seeing all the children in uniforms that drown them and their struggle to keep the shorts on made it all worth it. Despite half the team crying at one point or another, I do think the kids like running around in circles for a half hour!

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

That's funny. I agree. I think there is a ton of pressure for all sorts of kids activities. Even preschool is overblown and I don't think quite as essential as everyone would have you believe. And yet... Lizzy is in soccer and preschool too. The pressure is TOO MUCH :) Besides I think her soccer games are hilarious. But.... I vow not to become a parent that overschedules her kids. Now about the sex post. I did read it. Even if a post is deleted it still shows up on google reader. Do you use google reader? If not... you should - it makes keeping up on blogs WAY easier. You just subscribe to the blogs you like and then it shows you each time there is an update. I don't know what my comment was going to be. I laughed forever that you posted it. I would never dare. But then... I confess I enjoyed the perspective. I tend to be the all-he-wants-is-sex type of person and it was nice to look at it from a why-don't-I-appreciate-that perspective. Why did you delete it?

Jonny and Amber said...

Yeah, it is funny watching kids try to plan organized sports. I love field day! Kindergarten kids have no idea what is going on. Gabe looks cute in his uniform. I am sure Isabel wanted to join in the fun!

StephNyd said...

Gabe looks so cute in his uniform. I bet it was fun to watch them try to play the game. Can't you just imagine Isabel at that age, maybe even playing soccer herself? Hey, we should put Isabel and Lacey on a team together. They would have lots of fun. What do ya think?